Listen to audio description
54.033725485713745 ; 21.749873578482948 Show on map

The “Sword” Barracks are one of the three barrack buildings in the Fortress for app. 2,5 thousand soldiers. The building was erected in years 1850-52. It is a three-level object made of bricks, intended for 500 soldiers. Two levels included residential rooms – 32 in total – which could contain two companies of soldiers. Basement of the barracks was used as a storeroom and included water intake. The building was heated with fireplaces connected with ducts distributing hot air. Window openings of the building were secured with armoured and wooden shutters protecting against artillery fire. Currently, the “Sword” barracks include historical exhibitions and a hostel open from May to October. The barracks gallery can be entered from the side of internal ramparts.

Giżycko Municipal Commune © 2023 All rights reserved

strony internetowe mrągowo, tworzenie stron mrągowo, pozycjonowanie stron mrągowo